News from South Asia, Friday 7th June 2013

Pakistan:

Times of India: An Indian solider has been killed by Pakistani troops in Jammu and Kashmir. “According to TV reports, Pakistani troops opened fire in Mandi sector of Poonch area.

Heavy firing is still going on at the border, reports say.

Last week Pakistan had violated the ceasefire in the Nowgam region of the state.”

Dawn: Fazlur Rehman’s Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam has cautioned the PML-N government of a ‘complex environment‘ after the JUI withdrew from Taliban talks. “‘Let us try to create a conducive environment for talks and reconciliation, otherwise we will end up fighting insurgency for years and the chance for national building will be lost for decades,’ a JUI-F spokesman Jan Achakzai quoted Maulana Fazlur Rehman as saying.

Talking to Dawn, Mr Achakzai said that Maulana Fazlur Rehman believed that reconciliation with the Taliban would not be possible if coercive measures continued to be taken.”

Afghanistan:

New York Times: A suicide bomber has killed seven Georgian troops in Helmand Province. “It was the second truck bomb attack on a Georgian base in Helmand in less than a month; the earlier bombing on May 13 killed three Georgians, according to Georgian defense officials. Helmand has been the deadliest province for coalition troops.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message sent to journalists.” x

ABC: A think tank in Kabul has warned that Afghanistan will likely slide into civil war following the withdrawal of NATO in 2014. “The Taliban also see that the withdrawal of the combat forces at least is imminent. It’s not so they don’t attack them anymore but more and more it’s going on against government forces, which is clearly a fight for power, for influence, for showing who’s the strongest force in the country. And in that sense, the government forces, which they need to attack to show that they are stronger and to get into a favourable position for themselves, for the post-2014 period.”

India:

Times of India: A Maoist leader has surrendered in Odisha. “Surya Negi, 30, surrendered before the police on Thursday at the district headquarters town of Sambalpur, about 320 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

He had joined the organisation in 2003, a senior district police official told IANS.

Negi was involved in as many as 30 criminal cases, including murder, arson, rioting and attack on the police between 2003 and 2007. He was a deputy commander of the Sambalpur-Deogarh-Sundergarh zonal committee of the Maoist organisation.”

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , . Territory: . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Navigate to regional portals

    North America Middle East South Asia Europe
  • Latest analysis from our experts

    Paul Kamolnick · United States
  • Get our Extremism Tracker Email

    * indicates required